Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thanks but no thanks

I've turned down two shower offers and one food offer today. I also turned down a food offer yesterday. Why? Because I wasn't hungry when the food offers came my way and because a shower would further decrease my chances of getting a ride in a timely manner. Besides, I don't stink. If I really needed a shower, you can bet I would have taken one of the offers.

Y'all probably don't realize how much trouble it can be to prepare for a shower in a truck stop when all your belongings are packed into a backpack. You just about need to turn the thing inside out to access all your bathroom items and clothes, then you have to do it all over again when you're done. And if you forgot anything (which usually does happen), you probably have to go through it all again. It's a lot of work and it takes a lot of time. Oh yeah, and you must do it in a very small space while trying not to get your stuff all wet.

I'm still in Knoxville. Figured I'd be gone by now.

1 comment:

docrivs said...

It would be a good story, as a part of the film, to describe your process of unpacking and packing your backpack to prepare for a shower and to clean up afterwards. I find it interesting to know what your life was really like (the details) during your journey. People don't think about this kind of stuff. They take their comfortable lives for granted, and they don't realize how other people live. They forget how good they have it. Until that comfortable life is cast behind, or taken away, those people don't realize their treasure. Hardship is good like that.