Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Take of the tape Part 2

PART 2: Lewis (sp?) Palmer gave me a ride from Napa to St. Helena, where he works as a Wine Country tour guide. From St. Helena he told me it would be about 7 miles to Calistoga, which he also said is a cool town. A few miles up the road I decided to make a race against the clock; I challenged myself to hit the 10-mile mark before noon, which meant I'd have to walk nonstop for a long time. Barely into Calistoga, at 11:50, I topped 10 miles. While I rested, I calculated that I could make it to 30 miles by 10:00 if my walking time doubled my resting time (30 minutes of rest for every hour of walking). That may not seem too tough, but a lot of my rest time isn't restful at all because I have to do things like dig in my backpack and move stuff around. Another issue is dry clothing. I often have to add rest time because I need my shirt to dry before I resume walking. The extra rest time adds
up quickly, and I don't get that time back unless I walk for 2 or 3 straight hours (6 to 9 miles)...

No comments: