Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dear Anonymous in Cleveland, Tennessee

Hey Anonymous,

Um, I'm trying to write a book right now. I have not been on the road for two months. What kind of pictures do you think I've been taking with my phone lately? There are some pictures in there that surely have good stories attached to them, like the picture I took of a guy named Ramses outside the In-N-Out Burger in Henderson, Nevada. But I'm too freaking busy writing a book right now to spend time giving the story away to people who don't understand or appreciate what I've put myself through. And I was too busy starving and walking 3,000 miles, with 50-65 lbs on my back, to stop and tell you the whole story as it happened.

Do you think I'm making any income from this blog?

I'd like to give you what you want here, OK, but I'm busting my ass on something I hope will put some money in my pocket someday because there is no money in my pocket right now, nor has there been since I can remember.

This web site and blog have been here for over two and a half years, and it still does not see much traffic. Way back whenever, when I had hope that people might visit this site and tell their friends about it and help me generate some buzz and support, it didn't happen. A few people, like Brad, Jay, Luke, and Lew, tried to help me spread the word, but basically no one else did. And whenever, if ever, I am in position to give something back to these guys and the other people who have helped me, I will, even though I doubt that any of them consider me in debt to them. Especially Brad, though, because Brad has gone out of his way to help me promote Aimless.

Do you know who constitutes the largest demographic of visitors to the Aimless web site? People looking for pizza recipes. Yes, and I have given them almost all of the secrets behind the best pizza on the planet, for free, just as I have given you something you want for free.

There's a brand new web site called Pimp This Bum that has generated tens of thousand of hits in less than a week because people talked about it and wrote about it and told their friends about it. You could say it's very similar to what I've been doing--and I'd say it's less interesting than what I've been doing--but people are going there and helping these guys create something out of nothing. Maybe the guys behind that site are just smarter than me. Or maybe they knew someone who had the power to get the word out for them. I don't know. But they took about half an hour to interview one homeless guy, and now there is tons of buzz about their site, and there are probably people lined up to help them further their cause.

All because one person told someone else about that web site, just like I've done by telling you about it and linking to it. That's precisely the kind of snowball effect I hoped to create when I began this project, but it hasn't happened and I'm over it.

I don't care if you stop reading this blog, all right. Obviously, according to your comment, there is at least a little demand for what I've tried so hard to give you. Sometimes when people bust their asses to give you what you want, you have to give a little bit back. If you don't give back, it goes away.

If you haven't already seen this, here is a response to your comment. (Since the anchor doesn't appear to be working, scroll down to the comments.)

--
Aimless
Aimless Video Evidence

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that PimpThisBumm.com is a totally different animal to what your site is. I understand what you are trying to do, but they are doing something different than investing monies into a guy traveling America. Tim Edwards and yourself are in very different circumstances I think you would agree.

I was just saying that it has been well over a year since a video was posted. Pics are very far and few in between. Where are the pics of the sunsets in the Southwest you witnessed. Hell a pic of the courthouse where you had to spend a week waiting for that train incident. Anything.

I mean you want people to be interested in your trip right? But you come off very negative to any criticisms. Like the world owes you something. Brush that chip off your shoulder and share something postive for a change.

~Ron

Ryan M. Powell said...

Pimp This Bum obviously started out as an experimental joke, not a charitable endeavor. If those guys ultimately end up helping people, then cool. Maybe their stunt will accidentally turn them into better individuals than they were before, but that was clearly not their initial motive.

You seem to think I walked around taking pictures all the time, as if I had free time to even think about taking pictures of anything. As if going to court to face a $450 fine was just a tourist activity. Well, that's not what it's like. I was just as broke as that guy in Houston, except when I acquired money, I didn't put it up my arm.

I didn't take any pictures of sunsets in the southwest. I didn't take many pictures of anything because my mind was usually occupied with trying to find ways to get around and keep myself alive. I didn't even have a camera. All the pictures on the blog are from my phone.

There have been a few times when I've come off as if I believe the world owes me something. But when I did, I apologized for behaving that way because that's not how I feel and that's not how I operate. When I've said things like that, it was usually because I was so stressed out that I didn't even really know what I was saying. Sometimes I knew I couldn't trust my thoughts, but I shared them anyway because my story is about EVERYTHING that happens to you when you do what I did, including going crazy. And when you do what I did, you go at least kind of crazy because it's harder than anything you've ever done. And yes, I mean you.

I don't think the world owes me shit, but I know I most certainly owe you nothing. If you wanted to see more videos and pictures, then you should have helped me spread the word so I could have had some assistance creating those pictures and videos, then editing them to make them presentable.

But you didn't help me spread the word and I can't do the work of 20 people by myself. If you want to see some of the video and pictures I do have, then pay me. I gave you all this stuff, and I would have given you more if I could have. I still might, but not until I get a chance AND have the resources.

It's funny that the people who tell me I think the world owes me something are the same people who think I owe them. The only people I ever wanted to help me are people who realize what's in it for them.

You didn't realize what's in it for you. You still don't realize what's in it for you. I don't owe you pictures or videos.

Jeff said...

Gee thanks for remembering me, Ryan.
You know I NEVER tried to talk up the site to anyone [/sarcasm]. I never told you about doing that [/sarcasm]. It's amazing how you've forgotten about some people. Of course, I assume you realize how much I've moved since you began your journey and how expensive that is. You've visited me in CA, LA, AND WI ( Hell, you've visited me in many more states than that too). It takes a lot of money to move so far in such a short amount of time so some of us have "helped" in the ways that we could considering we have our own battles to fight... Thanks for remembering while you're being rather crabby towards the world...

Ryan M. Powell said...

Oh come on, Jeff. You know you're on the top of my list of people to do kind things for whenever I have the resources.

I'm starting to think I should just wipe out this web site and blog, though. It serves no purpose anymore.