Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Totally different experience

Wow! Now that was a train ride! Doing it alone without anyone's assistance is way the hell different than shadowing a couple seasoned hobos, especially when you don't get kicked off after 60 miles. The best word I can find to describe my first solo freight train ride is 'surreal.' It's just you and a train and everything that goes by for 5+ hours. --> The train finally stopped in downtown Nashville at about 8:15 CDT. Once it stopped, I quickly picked up my stuff and climbed off. Good thing, too, because it was moving again within a few minutes. It was probably a crew change. --> Train riders have a word for trains that go hundreds of miles without stopping--not even to let other trains pass in the opposite direction. I think they call these trains 'hot shots,' but I may be wrong. Anyway, I think this was one of those trains. --> My mom called me an hour or two into the trip. She hadn't
read the earlier blog posts, but with the roaring noise, she figured out pretty quickly where I was.

This message was sent using the Picture and Video Messaging service from Verizon Wireless!

To learn how you can snap pictures and capture videos with your wireless phone visit www.verizonwireless.com/picture.

To play video messages sent to email, QuickTime� 6.5 or higher is required. Visit www.apple.com/quicktime/download to download the free player or upgrade your existing QuickTime� Player. Note: During the download process when asked to choose an installation type (Minimum, Recommended or Custom), select Minimum for faster download.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to Nashville on your first solo. I did'nt call because I read your earlier blog about catching the train. It was good to see you again after so many years and have a safe trip.