Thursday, August 16, 2007

Tale of the tape Part 6

Part 6: As I neared Healdsburg yesterday afternoon, a guy in an old Isuzu P'up pulled off in a parking lot and offered me a ride. His name is Jan Gee ("yon-jee") and he was very hippie-like, with a Charlie Manson kinda vibe to boot. (No premature judgments, now.) All I wanted was a ride to a grocery store because I was out of food and because I didn't plan to wait by an on-ramp until morning, but he said he had a farm where I could camp out. He then took me to Safeway, where he also needed to buy a few things. I gathered a little stash of food to get me through the next couple days, but when I was about to grab some apples, he told me not to buy them because there are dozens of apple trees on the farm. Cool enough. Having eaten only an apple and a Pay Day all day, I also bought a couple custard-filled donuts to eat as an immediate snack. When we got back in his truck, I started eating
one of my donuts. Two-thirds of the way through my donut, Jan Gee remembered something...

No comments: