Sunday, August 19, 2007

Intermission

I'm in a redwood forest near Redway, California. I've walked 446 miles since beginning Aimless Leg 2. I saw a dead bear two or three days ago. Mom, don't freak out whenever I don't blog for a couple days. Sometimes I'm in the middle of god-damn nowhere and I can't use my phone in any way, OK. And when I don't blog for a couple days, don't be calling me over and over. But if I do manage to get myself killed out here and end up with enough footage for a good story, ownership of Aimless becomes 33% Jeffeory Norris's, 33% Jay Rivers's, and 34% Mom, Dad, Roman, and Mark's, as long as they work to finish it. If I somehow manage to tape my own death, I don't mind if people see it, AS LONG AS IT IS PART OF THE STORY. (No, I'm not preparing to die out here. But if I do die, I want this stuff known.) Carolyn, I think I ended up with your hair brush in my stuff. I don't know how it got there; all
I know is that I have a brush that isn't mine.

2 comments:

docrivs said...

Ryan, I have a lot of hope in that you will not only come out of this journey alive, but stronger, wiser, more compassionate and understanding, more patient, and more ambitious. Moreover, I have a lot of hope that you will take this story and will do really good things with it. I believe that. It's normal for mom to worry about her son, and I'm sure that she gets worried when she can't get in contact with you when she wants. I know that I would get that way too. What can you tell us about the bear -- your experience of seeing such a large and powerful creature lying dead on the forest floor? Did it make you think about your own mortality? I used to think about my own death a lot too, entering the unknown, entering what I believed to be dangerous and evil places filled with dangerous and evil people. I believe that you're going to be okay, though, and I look forward to seeing you once again.
~Jay
P.S. Thank you for your gesture about carrying on Aimless for you. You can trust me for that. Just come home alive and well, okay?

revolution said...

shoot, I'm not your mother and even i get a little concerned when you don't blog for a couple days....