Monday, June 11, 2007

Scenes from a truck stop

A tour bus and a couple trucks pulling "Allan Jackson Tour 2007" trailers pulled in here at about 5:45. Earlier today some Brooks & Dunn trucks went by me, too. I wonder if they're touring together. (I wonder if I know any of their stuff.)<p>It just blows my mind how many truckers I see carrying HUGE hot/cold cups into the truck stops to refill their favorite drinks. I'm talking half-gallon huge or even bigger. I don't know if they fill up with coffee or pop or what, but I think one thing's for sure: it ain't water or Gatorade. I don't know how they can drink that much of ANYTHING, at least just sitting there for hours. And many of them wonder why they're so fat. Really, they do.

1 comment:

docrivs said...

Interesting observation about the huge drinking mugs... I still remember when the "Big Gulp" came out and when fast food joints started to "Super-Size" and "Biggie-Size" their meal offerings.

When I worked as a Runner for Polaris Amphitheater I met Alan Jackson, I think in the summer of 1997. I picked him up at his jet at Bolton Field and took he and one of his staff to Polaris. He sat in the front seat of my Caravan with me, and he didn't want to listen to Country (which I understand now, but was surprised then). He wanted to talk about politics and what was going on in the Middle East. He was really down-to-earth and laid-back. He was very professional about how he carried himself, and he treated me with respect, even though I was pretty much just his driver. He gave me a really good first impression, and he even asked if I wanted to see the inside of the jet, which was pretty comfortable-looking. He seemed rather modest about owning a jet.

I remember when Brooks & Dunn came to town a couple of times, but I didn't get to meet them, I don't think.