Sunday, June 10, 2007

Fear & honesty

I'm beginning to think the availability of mobile blogging is taking away from the documentary because if I couldn't mobile blog, I would spend more time talking to the camera, sharing my thoughts and emotions with the eventual viewers. When I blog, I don't talk to the camera. I don't know; I just feel like I'm not doing it right sometimes. But then if I fill up 200 tapes with just about anything, I'll almost certainly end up with some kind of presentable story. That's the genius of this project.<br><br>I know I come off like an asshole with some of the stuff I write, but I absolutely have to do it. If I don't, I'm only sharing half of the story: the side that makes me look like a heroic protagonist. Now, I admit I am a very nice guy, but I'm not perfect. Aimless is an honest story, and one of the things that will make it great is that honesty. Honesty is compelling; if not in the real
world, certainly on your TV screen. It's something we rarely see. (Watch Chappelle on Actors Studio.)

No comments: