Thursday, September 06, 2007

Beer & Christ

This just occurred to me (several hours ago): Lew, you would love the Pacific Northwest; there are a million different beers here, many of them local. (Not like South Florida.)... I was walking around at about noon today, going somewhere maybe, when a guy stopped and told me to hop into his car for a tour of Portland. (I wasn't even sure I was in Portland yet.) Mark immediately took me to The Grotto, which I had passed less than an hour earlier. My OH-SHIT!ometer went nuts because The Grotto is some kind of huge religious complex. I thought, "This guy doesn't screw around when it comes to saving the souls of those whose souls don't need saved. How am I gonna get out of this one?" Fortunately Mark was not trying to save my soul; he just thought The Grotto was a cool place--landscape and whatnot--and he wanted me to see it. I admit it was pretty cool, but its coolness has nothing to do
with the organization that occupies the land. I'm staying at Mark's house at least tonight.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

If you're in Portland, watch out for people trying to get you hooked on drugs....


Hard drugs....

It's not the power of Christ that compells people there...

There are many people with varied religious views in that part of the country. There are also a lot of druggies there too. However, Portland is really freaking cool, too!!!

revolution said...

oh, you want to get me started do you?

Portland is the Mecca of breweries. It has more breweries than any other city in the country.

If you were going to check out a church in Portland, it would have to be Imago Dei - Rick McKinley is an awesome down to earth preacher that you would dig.

The reason that the Pacific Northwest is the home to so many breweries is that it is the only place in the country where the "hop" plant grows abundandtly and naturally.

BTW, if you go up to Seattle, check out Mars Hill Church - Mark Driscoll is another down to earth preacher. In fact, Driscoll and McKinley are my two favorites that I listen to every week.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure your soul doesn't need saving?