Monday, June 04, 2007

Walking vs. riding

In a comment, Jay asked:

What percentage walking/riding do you do to get from town to town? I understand that your goal may be to cover large distances in a short period of time, but maybe just walking through towns, sticking to the local roads, will offer you more rides? Or, have you already tried that? Just curious.

* * * * *

I want to answer this more thoroughly when I get home for a short break in a couple weeks, but it changes a lot. At the beginning I walked 70 miles before accepting a ride. Lately, though, I've been walking very little because I've been at truck stops, looking for a ride to somewhere specific.

Sometimes it depends on where I am. In Florida my forehead was blistered from the sun's daily pounding, so I tried to remain in shaded areas as much as I could. Additionally, in and near the Everglades there is almost nowhere to walk, for two reasons: 1) There aren't necessarily any roads going anywhere; 2) You could easily end up in the middle of nowhere, with gators all around and no clear safe place to set up camp. (I don't know enough about gators to feel comfortable doing that. I don't think they are very aggressive, but I really don't know.)

I have walked about 280 miles so far. I just checked myself out in a mirror for the first time, after looking at a "Before" pic I took of myself on Day 1 or Day 2, and WOW! The gut is almost gone. The titties, too. It's amazing.

More about this in a couple weeks. (Remind me if I forget. And Jay, this will be the year of the Aimless Comfest. I'll be there the whole time, on the job. It will be "the shit.")

--

Aimless
The Quasi-Aimless Trailer
If you'd like to contact me, call me at 614-738-3867.

1 comment:

docrivs said...

Awesome. I'm looking forward to it. I'll be workin' during at least part of it, but I will have some time to meet you down there. I was hoping to run into you there, but you've got to make it back here in time. We may exchange more of these comments back and forth before then, but just in case, I wish you a good journey back here. May the road rise before you and the wind be forever at your back.
J