Friday, August 25, 2006

Counterproductive

We've all heard it before, from our parents and teachers. Then we heard it from our other teachers, then the following year's teachers. Probably every teacher we've ever had.

Life isn't fair. Get used to it.

What a fucking copout! What pure laziness! What a bunch of bullshit!

You know why life isn't fair? Because people keep saying, "Life isn't fair. Get used to it." Instead, perhaps you could respond by saying, "Y'know, you're right; that's not fair. Please accept my apology and let's see what we can do to make it fair." But that would just be too rational and productive, wouldn't it? It might actually make the world a better place, but it would require a couple ounces of effort, which is too much to reasonably expect from sagacious teacher types.

Well, I've never used that copout before, and I'm never going to because it serves no purpose for anyone. Perhaps that's why I'm not a teacher, even though I went to school for five years so I could become a teacher.

No comments: