Thursday, August 17, 2006

Aimless and faithless

The search for sponsors is becoming very tiresome and frustrating. I've sent well over 500 e-mails--maybe even 1,000--to various businesses, organizations, and individuals, but not one person has contacted me regarding prospective sponsorship. It's really starting to make me lose "faith" in the competence of the American business community.

I could lie here and say people are standing in line for their opportunity to sponsor Aimless; I know most people in this situation would do that, as an attempt to create an illusion of demand. But I don't work that way. As I have said in a couple places on the Aimless web site, I follow a policy of honesty and integrity, and I am not willing to compromise those traits to trick people into sponsoring Aimless. Besides, if I did resort to dishonesty, I'd end up attracting the wrong sponsors. That's not my objective.

There are a million things I want to say here, but I'm having trouble sorting out everything in my head. Maybe I'll update this entry later or just post a new entry whenever I start thinking straight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are getting frustrated. Do you think your frustration is well founded or are you just having a bad day? I guess what I'm wondering is if your blog is just today's 'feeling' which of course can come or go, or if you really are wondering if the venture will fly.

Ryan M. Powell said...

My blog entries may just be "Today's Feeling." I don't know. But I do know that today's entry has a feeling totally different from yesterday's entry. However, my head is still cluttered, so I'm having a hard time saying what's on my mind whenever I try to compose a new entry. Consequently I am going to start making more frequent entries when specific things are on my mind. (This is also a smart idea because frequently updated blogs receive more exposure than not-so-frequently updated blogs.)

I've noticed an interesting pattern by looking at the web site's stats: A lot more people respond to my solicitations on Tuesdays and Mondays than on any other days. In fact, the response rate is pretty pathetic after Tuesdays. I don't know if it's cause and effect or just correlation, but I suspect people are less likely to follow the links in my e-mails after Tuesday because they're finally getting focused on their work for the week.

No, I don't wonder whether my venture will fly. I do wonder how long it will take before I attract some serious sponsorship interest. There are a lot of reasons for that. The biggest reason is that real investors don't fuck around with a few thousand dollars. (Donald Trump doesn't play nickel slots.) Of the few people out there who might be willing to invest a few grand in anything, most of them have no idea what makes a good investment, so they'll blow it on something else.

There is someone out there who gets Aimless and has money or equipment to put into it. I'll find that person. Then everyone else I've contacted will find out how stupid they were for not taking advantage of the cheap opportunity I offered them. It'll be economic justice. But right now it's frustrating.